Why Meghan Markle and Prince Harry didn’t go to Balmoral after the death of the Queen.
Meghan Markle didn’t go to Balmoral with Prince Harry after hearing about the death of the Queen. One commentator has given a good reason why.
Meghan Markle did not go to Balmoral with Prince Harry after hearing about the death of Queen Elizabeth II, and there may be a good reason for that.
Buckingham Palace said in a statement that the 96-year-old British monarch died “peacefully” at Balmoral Castle in Scotland on Thursday evening local time.
Senior royals rushed to Aberdeenshire before she died, where they were supposed to stay the night. Harry, who was 37 at the time, was seen arriving separately and reportedly didn’t get to see his grandmother before she died.
He was photographed sitting alone in the back of a car, while his wife Meghan, who is 41, stayed in London. This happened even though a representative for the Sussexes had said earlier that they would all go to Scotland together after hearing that the Queen’s health was getting worse.
Nicholas Witchell, a royal correspondent for the BBC, explained why the plans seemed to change at the last minute by saying on air, “She [Meghan] might not be very warmly welcomed, to be honest.”
Royals rush to help the Queen.
Buckingham Palace made a rare statement about the Queen’s health earlier on Thursday, local time.
In a statement, the palace said, “After more testing this morning, the Queen’s doctors are worried about Her Majesty’s health and have suggested she stay under medical supervision.”
“The Queen remains comfortable and at Balmoral.”
All four of the Queen’s children—Prince Charles, who was 73, Princess Anne, who was 72, Prince Andrew, who was 62, and Prince Edward, who was 58—got to Balmoral just before it was announced that she had died. (At the time, Charles and Anne were already in Scotland.)
Her 40-year-old grandson Prince William, who will be the next king, rushed to be by his grandmother’s side. He was seen driving the car with his uncles Andrew and Edward and Edward’s wife Sophie.
At about 5 p.m. local time, the royals’ Range Rover was seen pulling up to Balmoral Castle. At 6.30pm, the news came out that the Queen had died.
At the time of the first statement, a representative for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said that they were also going to Scotland. But a few hours later, it was said that Meghan was no longer going to join.
According to the Daily Mail, Harry got there about an hour and a half after Buckingham Palace announced that the Queen had died.
As part of his short tour of Europe this week with Meghan, he was supposed to be a special guest at the WellChild Awards in London tonight. However, he and Meghan will no longer be going.
William’s wife, Kate Middleton, who is 40 years old, also didn’t go to Balmoral. Instead, she stayed in Windsor with the couple’s three kids, Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis, who had just started their first day of school.
Kate was seen getting in her car to drive to Windsor’s Lambrook School to pick up her children.
A few weeks ago, when the family went to Balmoral Castle for the summer, the Duchess of Cambridge and the Queen did get to spend some good time together.
At 6.30 p.m. Thursday (UK time), the palace said in a statement, “The Queen died peacefully at Balmoral this afternoon.
“The King and Queen Consort will spend the night at Balmoral and go back to London tomorrow.”
The Sussexes have since changed their Archewell website to reflect the news. A banner that says “In loving memory of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II” is a tribute to Her Majesty.
A 10-day period of mourning has begun, and the Queen’s body will be taken to London on Saturday. In the coming days, a state funeral will be held.