Kevin Spacey says he will “willingly appear” in a British court to face charges of sex offense.
The once-famous star is being charged with four sex crimes, and he might be sent to Britain if he doesn’t go there on his own.
Kevin Spacey has spoken out for the first time since British police charged him with four counts of sexual assault last week.
Some people thought he could have been sent from the US to the UK against his will if he didn’t show up in a London court.
But in a statement to the US TV show Good Morning America, the two-time Oscar winner said he would “voluntarily appear” in the UK to face the charges.
Spacey said that he was “confident” that he could show that he was not guilty.
The UK’s Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) confirmed on May 26 that the former Hollywood star was charged with four counts of sexual assault against three men in Britain.
He is also being charged with forcing someone to take part in sexual activity without their permission.
The charges came after the Metropolitan Police in London looked over the evidence after getting complaints.
Allegedly, all of the crimes happened between 2005 and 2013.
Four of the alleged crimes are said to have happened in London, and the other is said to have happened in Gloucestershire, which is in the south west of England.
In 2017, police began to look into the House of Cards star.
In 2019, the police talked to Spacey behind closed doors.
In the statement to Good Morning America, Spacey said he “appreciated” that the CPS had said he was entitled to a fair trial.
“I’m disappointed that they’ve decided to move forward, but I’ll show up in the UK as soon as I can,” he said. “I’ll defend myself against these charges, which I’m sure will show that I’m innocent.”
The last time the American actor who has been in movies like “American Beauty,” “LA Confidential,” and “Baby Driver” was in the UK was more than 20 months ago.
The alleged crimes happened between 2004 and 2015, when Spacey was artistic director of London’s Old Vic Theatre in the city’s south.