At least 19 foreigners were among the 151 people who died in the Halloween stampede.
The number of people who died in the Halloween stampede has gone up to 151, and 19 “foreigners” have been confirmed to be among the dead.
On Saturday, at least 151 people were killed and about 150 were hurt when thousands of people crowded into narrow streets in central Seoul to celebrate Halloween.
Choi Seong-beom, who works for the South Korean Fire Department, said that the stampede happened at 10:22 p.m. in the capital, and that many of the people who died were crushed.
“Many people were crushed during the Halloween event,” Choi said, adding that the number of people who died could go up.
“19 foreigners” were among the dead
Authorities are still trying to figure out who the victims are, so details are still sketchy. However, South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol confirmed live on Sunday afternoon (Australian time) that at least 15 foreigners had been killed.
Chief of the Yongsan Fire Department Choi Seong-bum said that among that number are people from Iran, Norway, China, and Uzbekistan.
A spokesperson for the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) told news.com.au that the Australian Government was trying “urgently” to find out if any Australians had been affected.
“The Australian Government sends its deepest condolences to those affected by this tragic event,” the spokesperson said.
“The Australian Embassy in Seoul is contacting local officials right away to find out if any Australians are involved.